Thursday, June 16, 2005

The Spirit of Slumber


Ah, sleep. (Source: Pictures of People SleepingPosted by Hello


"And it came to pass, about eight days after these sayings, that He took Peter, John, and James and went up on the mountain to pray. And as He prayed, the appearance of His face was altered, and His robe became white and glistening. Then behold, two men talked with Him, who were Moses and Elijah, who appeared in glory and spoke of His decease which He was about to accomplish at Jerusalem. But Peter and those with him were heavy with sleep; and when they were fully awake, they saw His glory and the two men who stood with Him. And it happened, as they were parting from Him, that Peter said to Jesus, "Master, it is good for us to be here; and let us make three tabernacles: one for You, one for Moses, and one for Elijah'' not knowing what he said. While he was saying this, a cloud came and overshadowed them; and they were fearful as they entered the cloud." - Luke 9:28-34 (NKJ)


It's amusing, and at the same time, embarrassing to admit that sometimes I'm just like Peter, James, and John -- that is, feeling very drowsy and then falling asleep while in the presence of the Lord. Amusing in the sense that I was able to identify myself with the three disciples who, at the height of fatigue, gave in to the temptation to sleep instead of travailing with God in prayer.

That's the embarrassing part: I sometimes forego the most important thing -- in this case, entering into God's presence and experiencing His glory -- to satisfy the momentary cravings of my physical being.

Being the sleepyhead that I am, it has always been my struggle to say "no" to sleep and "yes" to intercessory prayer. I just love sleeping so much that and I can even classify it as my "personal hobby." Not that sleep is bad per se. After all, medical experts say that a person has to have approximately eight hours of sleep a day to function well.

But I think when God calls us to persevere in prayer no matter what the costs. We just need to obey Him lest we miss out on the great things in the spiritual realm -- i.e. seeing and experiencing the Lord's power to transform us from glory to glory.

I just have to keep in mind that no less than Jesus Christ, as the Son of Man, honored and valued the art/discipline of prayer. And so must I. There is so much power in prayer. And sleepyheads like me should just dare to journey with Him from whom all things flow.

****************************************************************************************

*QUESTION: Can you relate to this entry? Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.


(Note: This journal entry was written on Sept. 13, 2002 when JAYRED was still studying at the Asian Center for Missions as a full-time cross-cultural missionary trainee.)

6 Comments:

Anonymous E-Church Member said...

FROM MARYANN LEVINE OF E-CHURCH (COPIED FROM E-CHURCH COMMENT BOX - 6-16-05):

"Jayred, As I was thinking about your question, I was reminded of the many times I have tried to enforce upon myself a devotional time when I would attempt to fit into my schedule a regular time for contemplative prayer. Failing time after time I realized that I was the one requiring that duty not Him! No wonder I was always caught sleeping! Another piece of the puzzle was that I would always choose a time of day that is my least creative or productive and expect myself to conform. It'll never happen in the early morning for me or at 4pm... I'm simply not made that way.

We all have a different rhythm, the pulse that He gives us, as we interact with our world. So some will come to your prayer meeting on fire and ready for the big guns, while others come with good intent but may only contribute with yawns and snores. So try changing the time to a time when you know you are usually awake, active and productive, and maybe there will be less tendency to nap.

Don't forget to ask the sleepers if they had any dreams. I have had the experience on several occasions, while sleeping through a Bible study or prayer meeting, of having a dream that had relevance to what was happening around me. A cool way to participate I might add! Blessings, Maryann"

8:02 AM  
Blogger Jayred said...

Thanks for this valuable input, Maryann! Some Christian friends/advisers back home (Philippines) actually gave me the same advice to schedule my personal devotional time/prayer time according to my biorhythm.

Do you have a personal blog which I can possibly visit? I like your insights.

11:29 AM  
Anonymous scanns said...

jayred, indeed, I can relate to this entry! We need to trust & obey Him, and He will give us the wisdom & strength to overcome hindrances!
I received your email of the WWCD group blog invite, thanks! I will certainly continue to visit WWCD; it's an encouragement to us, and glorifying to God! Thank you for linking me to this blogsite! God bless you, your family, and your ministry!

7:21 AM  
Blogger Jayred said...

SCANNS: Amen, kapatid! Thanks for your encouraging words. Feel free to post here your Christian reflections. May God bless you, your family, and the work of your hands!

7:45 PM  
Blogger Naomi said...

sleeping is good, if kept to a minimum --literally and spiritually.

may God continue to bless u richly Jayred =)

8:43 PM  
Blogger Jayred said...

NAOMI: Thanks for the visit/comment. Yes, I don't think spiritual slumber is good. :-)

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home